Site Updates

March Update 2019:

Design Manual for Roads and Bridges

GG 000 Alphanumeric and Volume Contents March 2019
CD 365 Portal and cantilever signs/signals gantries (replaces BD 51/14, IAN 193/16, BE 7/04)
BD 51/14 Portal and Cantilever Sign/Signal Gantries (2.2.4) replaced by CD 365
BE 7/04 Departmental Standard (Interim) Motorway Sign/Signal Gantries (2.2.8) replaced by CD 365
SH 7/83 Specification for Road and Bridge Works: Soil Suitability for Earthworking Use of the Moisture Condition Apparatus [Incorporating Amendment No. 1 dated February 1989] For use in Scotland only (4.1.7) withdrawn and no replacement
SH 5/89 Topographical Surveys: Certification Procedures [Incorporating Amendment No. 1 dated November 1989] For use in Scotland only (4.1.7) withdrawn and no replacement
SH 1/97 The Traffic and Economic Assessment of Road Schemes in Scotland (5.1.4) withdrawn and no replacement
SH 4/91 Lane Rental For use in Scotland only (5.1.4) withdrawn and no replacement


IAN 193/16 Requirements for the provision of access arrangements on gantries replaced by CD 365

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

When are the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges and the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works published?

Updates to the DMRB are published four times a year, in February, May, August and November. Updates to the MCHW are published twice a year, in May and November. You can check which updated documents are scheduled to be published here.

Back to top

How can I get a copy of a DMRB/MCHW document?

You can buy paper copies of current documents or a complete set of documents on a CD-ROM from

Back to top

How can I get hold of an old or superseded DMRB standard, MCHW specification or Interim Advice Note (IAN)?

Please contact us via our feedback page.

Back to top

What are the differences between the website and the CD-ROM of each publication?

The content of each publication is the same on the website as on the CD-ROM. However, unlike the websites, the CD-ROMs have an integrated search and indexing facility.

Back to top

Who can I contact with a query regarding a specific part of a DMRB or MCHW publication or IAN?

Please contact us via our feedback page and we will pass it to the person best able to answer your query.

Back to top

Do local highway authorities use the DMRB/MCHW or IANs and do these publications apply to my local road?

These documents apply to trunk road and motorway works. The basis of their use by local highway authorities is given in DMRB document (PDF, Opens new window) GD 1/08 and the introduction to the MCHW document (PDF, Opens new window) SD 0/08. Please ask your local highway authority what its policy is on this matter.

Back to top

Does the DMRB apply to trunk roads and motorways in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland?

Yes. However, some standards and specifications have annexes that are specific to each devolved administration. Please contact them directly for guidance:

Back to top

I would like to use a figure from the DMRB in a report. How do I get permission to do this?

If you would like to use any figure, diagram or photo in a report or presentation please see our copyright guidance.

Back to top

Where are the appendices to the MCHW?

Templates for the appendices referred to in the Specification for Highway Works are in MCHW Volume 2 - Notes for Guidance for the Specification for Highway Works. The first number of the appendix tells you in which series it is located. For example, Sample Appendix 3/1 is located in Series NG 300 and Sample Appendix 6/2 is found in Series NG 600.

Back to top

Where can I find Series 7000, 8000 and 9000 of the Specification for Highway Works?

These are in Volume 5 of the MCHW and relate to specialist activities.

Back to top

Where can I find information about Traffic Signs?

Please go to the Traffic signs and signals page on the Department for Transport website page.

Back to top

Where can I find the MCE, MCF, MCG, MCH, TR, TRG and TRH series of documents?

Please go to the Highways England Plans Registry site. It is free to register, and you can download any current documents at no cost.

Back to top

Who can I talk to about access to my property?

If the site is on a trunk road, you should talk to your Highways England area team. (PDF, Opens new window) Use the map (PDF document) to find what area you need.

Otherwise consult your local highway authority. Your local council should be able to tell you who is responsible for the road in question.

Back to top

Where do I find the Department for Transport publications referred to in the DMRB and MCHW?

Links are provided on the links page.

Back to top

The standards website shows a revised document but when I try to download it I still get the older version.

Some users cannot see changes that have been made to the website. This may be caused by the ‘caching’ (storing) of documents. In order to load webpages more quickly most PCs store recently accessed pages/documents locally. This may result in users viewing outdated information if the cache is not refreshed. If this happens to you, try the following:

  1. Click ‘Refresh’ on the toolbar or if using MS Windows click F5 on the keyboard.
  2. If clicking ‘Refresh’ does not work try Ctrl F5 (hold down the Control key and F5 key together)
  3. If the above has not worked you may need to speak to your own IT department about their proxy server as in some cases the server also caches web pages.

Back to top